Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Adventures of A Little Free Library

Hi!
So a while ago Julia and I got to help out with a friend's Silver award project. So we wanted to share this awesome way Annika chose to impact her community, so I asked Annika to tell us about her project. Here's what she said:



Connection of neighbors, connection of learning. These two concepts were the basis of my silver award project. My project was to build a Little Free Library for my neighborhood. The need I saw in the community was to make a place where neighbors come together. As I started thinking of possible projects, I thought of a new craze, Little Free Libraries (LFL). A LFL is a mix of a birdhouse and a mail box but instead of holding birds or mail it holds books. Silver award projects require many hours of planning, time, and leadership. I had to plan an event to start building the library and an open house to introduce my neighborhood to their newest addition. I had to use my leadership as a Girl Scout to turn these ideas into action and actually make them happen. There were many bumps in the road but eventually the smooth pavement came to relieve the struggle. The moment I put the last screw into the counting post felt like the best thing in the world. Now as I see my neighbors stopping by I know I have made a difference in their lives by giving them a first-class trip at their finger tips. As for you, when you have a dream, big or small, make them reality no matter how bumpy the road may be.
~ Annika 
    Troop 13749

You can find Little Free Libraries all over the world. To learn more or to find one near you visit: http://littlefreelibrary.org 

Have a wonderful week!
~ Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment